Tangy Barley Bean Salad
· 1 cup cooked barley
· 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
· 1/2 cup diced cucumbers
· 1/4 cup corn kernels
· 1/4 can black beans
· 1/4 cup roasted chickpeas
· 2 tbsp. fresh herbs (parsley, chadon beni, thyme)
· Optional- any bean or vegetable you would like!
· 3 tbsp. Coconut oil
· 1/2 tsp grated garlic
· 1/4 tsp chili flakes
· 1/8 tsp black pepper
· 1/4 tsp salt
· 1/2 tsp lime juice
· 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
1. Cook a ½ cup of barley according to instructions on package.
2. Wash and chop tomatoes, cucumbers and fresh herbs.
3. Thaw frozen corn kernels, drain a can of black beans and a can of chickpeas.
4. Prepare chickpeas for roasting by seasoning it with a sprinkle of salt, black pepper, cumin, paprika and a drizzle of coconut oil. Bake in oven at 350°F for 20mins.
5. To prepare coconut oil citrus dressing, in a bowl whisk together coconut oil, salt, black pepper, chili flakes, garlic, red wine vinegar and lime juice.
6. In another bowl add cooled barley along with the rest of prepared ingredients and toss in coconut oil citrus dressing.