Here are some helpful healthy tips to using coconut oil to spice up your personal hygiene and beauty treatments! These tips are super easy and an all natural alternative to the chemical treatment being sold in stores!
1. Deep conditioner: massage a few tablespoons of coconut oil into hair and leave it overnight or try Massaging in the oil and wrap your head in a warm towel for a couple of hours. Then shampoo and feel your hair turn silky smooth. Coconut oil rebalances hair proteins and its small molecular structure penetrates the hair shaft to moisturise and protect against environmental damage.
2. Use coconut oil to tame frizzy hair by using a tiny drop of coconut oil and rub it between your palms. If you have curly hair, run your fingers through your hair and leave in.
3. Dandruff: Because of its effective antibacterial and antifungal properties, coconut oil is excellent for scalp problems like dryness and dandruff. Simply massage it into your scalp for 5 minutes. Let it sit for as long as you can and then shampoo thoroughly.
4. Simple scrub: Skin feeling flaky? Add some sea salt to coconut oil and use it as a body scrub. To make a more intense body scrub: Take 6 tablespoons each of coconut oil and brown sugar, along with 10 drops each of orange and lemon essential oils. Beat the coconut oil till its soft and fluffy. To use, massage into damp skin while in the shower; on rinsing off the scrub, you will be left with a very light layer of coconut oil, which shall keep skin soft and supple. Store the excess scrub in the refrigerator.
5. Honey-lemon sugar scrub: Mix together half a cup each of brown sugar and salt in a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon each of lemon juice, honey and coconut oil; mix well. Use 1-2 times a week for amazingly smooth skin!
6. Deep moisturiser: Parched, flaky skin? Stir together equal parts coconut oil and olive oil. Add a few drops of rose or frankincense essential oil and you will have a concoction that no store-bought lotion could ever rival!
7. Body moisturiser: Rich in fatty acids, coconut oil makes a superb moisturiser. Just pull it straight out of the jar and smooth all over your body while skin is still wet after a shower.
8. Shaving cream: Use coconut oil instead of shaving cream – it will help smooth hair follicles for a closer, smoother shave.
After-shave lotion: Coconut oil will help heal your skin after shaving and is especially great for razor burn!
9. After-sun body lotion: Take 1 cup cocoa butter, 1/2 cup coconut oil and 4 teaspoons sweet almond oil. Place all ingredients in a double boiler over medium heat until the butter is melted. Pour into a jar and allow to cool. Massage a small amount over body immediately after sun exposure to soothe sun parched skin.
10. Cuts and scrapes: Coconut oil forms a thin antiseptic and antibacterial layer that protects the wound from dust and germs. Plus, it speeds up the healing process by increasing cellular turnover and stimulating collagen. So, slather a bit of coconut oil on a scratch, scrape or small cut and your wound may heal faster and resist infections,. As a bonus, it also helps reduce the chances of scarring.
11. Foot treatment: Dry, cracked feet? Rub some coconut oil and go over the flaky areas with a pumice stone. For an intense treatment, slather on the oil, put an old pair of socks and leave overnight.
12. De-odourising: Coconut oil has been known to freshen up the odd bodily odours with its antibacterial properties. Add a little lavender or lemon essential oil for extra deodorising effect.
13. Tired feet: Pop your feet into a warm footbath laced with three tablespoons of coconut oil and half a cup of mixed spice. The lauric acid in coconut oil will help bring balance to your hard working feet.
14. Dark patches: Mix the juice of one lemon with a teaspoon of coconut oil and rub into dry and dark elbows and knees to help with spots.
15. Lip balm: Simply slather plain coconut oil on your lips for the ultimate in hydration.
16. Lip gloss: Plain coconut oil makes for a superb lip gloss as well.
17. Eczema: The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of organic virgin coconut oil make it an excellent soother for eczema sufferers. Just apply it lightly on the affected area 3-4 times a day.
18. Colds: Rub a little coconut oil on the inside of your nose to help with runny noses, allergies and sore nostrils.
19. Acne: Mix some coconut oil with nutmeg and leave on your blemish for 10-15 minutes, then wash off.
20. Eyelashes: Brush on to eyelashes to boost their growth and pigmentation.
21. Age spots: Applying coconut oil directly to the age spot will help it fade by preventing free-radical formation.
22. Home wax: Use the oil to help prep your skin before and use it to remove wax from the skin afterwards.